Thursday, November 01, 2007

Psalm 120 and 1 Timothy

This week, I was asked to deliver two different sermons for two different occasions, and I could not refuse those requests. First, one of my dear friends in the church, Retty, who was scheduled to preach on Tuesday morning staff chapel, physically was not well enough to lead the service. For that morning chapel, I read Psalm 120 pointing out David as an extraordinary example of how one should be honest and open to God. Our God is great enough to understand and to embrace us all. There is no need for us to live in a spirit of denial.

Yesterday, I was asked to deliver a sermon in celebrating the 64th birthday of Rev. Gunawan Tijono (one of our senior pastors). I did not dare enough to refuse to preach in such a special occasion. For that birthday dinner, I read Paul’s first letter to Timothy, arguing that Christian faith and life should be based on the purity of heart and conscience. This sermon challenges the natural interpretation of 1 Tim 3.1. Unlike the traditional approaches, I showed that 1 Tim 3.2-7 is far more important than 1 Tim 3.1. The very task of Timothy was to attack those who wished to exercise authority, yet neglecting the very key point of conscience (1 Tim 1.18-20). My approach and interpretation also boldly tackle the difficulties of understanding the relationship of men and women in this epistle (1 Tim 2.8-15) and other polemical issues in the Pastoral Epistles. It is a reminder that legal position or authority is deceiving without the active presence of sincere conscience.

I presented the sermon as a kind of festschrift to Mr. Tijono. It was fresh from the oven. This sermon was also a result of a relatively long struggle (6 years) in finding the answer of a simple question posed by Dr. Bambang Widjaja. In 2001, after dinner, he asked me, ‘Ry, what do you think about 1 Tim 3.1?’ I do not remember what my answer was, but I had not been satisfied until the light touched my heart while reading this most controversial Pauline epistle, yet it is truly my favorite. Eureka!

0 comments: