Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Rev. Dr. Jacob Tomatala

Yesterday, I and my colleagues were asked to accompany Rev. Dr. Jacob Tomatala for lunch. He is teaching a graduate program in our institute this week. He is one of the leading figures in the subject of Christian leadership in Indonesia. Dr. Tomatala got his doctorate from Fuller where he studied Christian leadership under Professor Clinton. He has been leading a philosophy and leadership institute in Jakarta for years. Dr. Tomatala’s passion for Christian leadership is undoubted.

I met Dr. Tomatala several times. Let me highlight some of those meetings. In February 2003, Compassion Indonesia invited me to facilitate a discussion on ‘Church, Children and Mission.’ Dr. Tomatala and Dr. Dan Brewster (also a Fuller graduate) were the main speakers in that event. He was very friendly and warm to such a younger ‘scholar’ like me. He treated me like his old friend, though he actually is 21 years older than me. He encouraged me to develop myself in every aspect so that my ministry would be more effective. He shared me his life and invited me to follow his steps. Though His advice was rather general, it was interesting that he figured himself and acted like a father who is motivating his own son to always move forward in life.

In 2005, I was with him again. This time, I had a private lunch with him. I remember picking him up from a small hotel in Sukajadi, and then bringing him into a Sundanese restaurant in Jalan Riau. There again, he served me with a very gentle shepherding unending ‘sermon.’ The meals seemed to be no longer important. The conversation however, was so valuable. Dr. Tomatala again shared his life and motivated me to sharpen my vision in the ministry of the Kingdom. This time, knowing that I got married, he also gave some tips for a happy family.

In our meeting yesterday, Dr. Tomatala did what he usually does. He was friendly and warm. He kept motivating us to develop ourselves. He spoke like a father to his sons. His motivation words sounded familiar. He shared what he had achieved: publishing books, delivering lectures, leading institutions and others. He kept asking, 'What have all of you achieved?' He encouraged us to start now for a change and growth in our ministry and life.

I was amazed though that he remembered my name. The first question he asked me was: ‘Any progress pa Ery?’ I was to be honest not quite sure with his question. Progress? In what area? I mentioned to him that I had completed my degree in the UK, and now I am applying what I have studied in the church and the institute where I am working with. I also shared my desire, my effort and my strategy to pursue a doctorate somewhere sometimes. He seemed to be happy knowing that ‘progress.’

For me personally, it is always good to have someone who rigorously motivates me to move forward in fulfilling God’s calling in me. Dr. Tomatala always shares his own life to the younger generation he meets. He does that passionately, enthusiastically and energetically. His sharing and motivation are eternal investment to those who are listening to him and make positive responses. He said: ‘You are what you perceive (your response) of what someone else says about you.’

This time, Dr. Tomatala said something significant for me. I perceived his words as a message from God. A vision of a leader, he said, has to be: (1) Glorifying God; (2) Benefiting others; (3) Fulfilling our most inner being. His message renews my vision about my family, my ministry and my own self in relationship with God. His words have helped me to boldly and optimistically continue my life in fulfilling the precious call of God.

At the end of our conversation, Dr. Tomatala shared about the unexpected death of his son. After lunch, he asked me personally, ‘How many children do you have, pa Ery?’ I said two, but one died earlier this year. His mimic changed; He stopped his step and said, ‘We experienced the same lost pa Ery: the same sadness of loosing our loved ones.’ I said to him and to myself, ‘Yes, but God is always faithful to us; His plan is wonderful and beyond our expectation.’ May these words be a blessing and motivation for both of us!

This post pays respect to Dr. Tomatala, a true motivator and father to many younger scholars. His friendship and warmness to everybody he meets are always available. To me personally, he is also truly a friend and a brother who have been going through similar difficult experiences.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to know where to contact Dr Jacob Tomatala, because I would like to learn from him.

Ery Prasadja said...

I am sorry, I do not have his contact number and address. But I think it should not too difficult to find information concerning him. Your other networks may know him better.