Monday, June 06, 2011

INFLUENTIAL BOOK: TURNING HURTS INTO HALOS AND SCARS INTO STARS BY ROBERT SCHULLER

Schuller is a pastor and best-selling author. He is also the founder of Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove, California, a church that he had been leading for so many years. He is also famous among his opponents because of his positivism. 

Turning Hurts into Halos and Scars into Stars is a genius choice for a title of a book - to be honest with you, I could not think of better possible titles. Even if we have a very limited time to view only the title of this book (and do not care for the content of it), we already are amazed and challenged. From this brilliant title, readers will not only be motivated to read the book, but also to transform their old binding perspective into a new liberating one - especially when readers are in the midst of and facing difficult situation.

I read the book about six years ago, few months after my new life as a husband of Esther. Life was not easy, I and my wife made adjustments in so many areas of differences. This process was sometimes frustrating. On one morning I found this book on the shelf at our rent pavilion - it actually belongs to my wife. I read the book page after page, and I could not stop my eyes from reading the entire book.

Well, difficulties are still difficulties, challenges are still challenges, obstacles are still obstacles: they are real. Schuller does not call us to deny realities anyway. Yet, as I reflect on the book and on myself, I discover two very precious principles: (1) Our perspective determines our destiny; difficulties are always there for all kind of people. However, when we involve God in such unwanted situations and view challenges as opportunities, our end will be victorious. (2) Difficulties are always there, but we have the choices how to respond to those blocks. Right choices lead to right destination, while wrong choices lead to destruction.

0 comments: