Monday, June 20, 2011

REFLECTION #1 ON FATHER'S DAY 2011: IS GOD A GOOD FATHER TO JESUS?

Few days before the 2011 Father's Day, I asked myself reflective questions. One of those question is, 'Is God a good father to his only Son, Jesus?' If God really is a good father, why did he not save his severely dying Son from a brutal death on the cross? Instead, as Jesus cried aloud, saying, 'Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?' that is, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?' If I were Jesus, and in this specific horror incident, it is honestly unimaginable to call God as a good father. Expert in family and counseling understand and exactly agree that a father is expected to provide security for members of his family. Well, God the father was certainly able to save Jesus from all inhuman physical tortures he had to go through some two thousand years ago, but God opted not to do the otherwise. But.......

Since I asked this question to myself - I tried to answer the question myself. And again, If I were Jesus, I would have been proud of God the father, since he is not self centered. As most fathers do say and it is good: my family is number one; my wife is number one; my children is number one; financial security for my family is number one; health insurance for my family is number one; vehicle for my family is number one. All number ones are MY....... God the father is different. As Paul said in Romans 8.32, 'He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all - how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?' The sacrifice of God's only Son is justified because God's love is not a MY type of love - God, the father of Jesus shows love that is not self centered. The love of God is agape, a love that is consistent, eternal and offered to the undeserved folk like us. And for that I bet Jesus would have been proud of his father.

Again, if I were Jesus, I would have been proud of God the father because he shows no compromise to sin and injustice. The sacrifice of Jesus, the only Son of God is not purposeless. The scandal of the cross was a fight for justice and righteousness. Through the death of Jesus, the Son, the power of sin has been defeated. The cross is certainly the absolute ground for a theological theme Christus Victor. God's commitment for truth is unshakeable. This commitment brings the consequence that all kinds of sin and corruption have to be eradicated. In the light of this commitment, the sacrifice of Jesus is justified. God's absolute commitment for truth, justice and righteousness is one prime among reasons why Jesus was proud of his heavenly daddy.

Now we know God better. First, God is not a father who focus on MY......., including to his only Son. God's love and compassion to the world is absolute and obvious. Second, God is a father whose commitment to truth, justice and righteousness is absolute. God is a father who stands firm against all kinds of sin, corruption and evil things. What a happy reality for Jesus to have a daddy like God the father: Jesus must have been proud of him.

0 comments: